Friday, January 27, 2006

A bit of the beauty of being Bella


Down There
by Sandra Cisneros
from book: "Loose Woman"


Your poem thinks it's bad
Because it farts in the bath.
Cracks its knuckles in class.
Grabs its balls in public
and adjusts---one,
the the other---
back and forth like a Slinky. No,
more like the motion
of a lava lamp.
You follow me?

Your poem thinks it's
cool to pee in the pool.
Waits for the moment
someone's watching before
it sticks a finger up
its nose and licks
it. Your poem's weird.

The kind that swaggers in like Wayne
or struts its stuff like Rambo.
The kind that learned
to spit at 13 and still is doing it.

It blames its bad habits
on the Catholic school.
Picked up words that
snapped like bra straps.
Learned words that ignite
of their own gas
like a butt hole flower.
Fell in love with words
that thudded like stones and sticks.
Or stung like fists.
Or stank like shit
gorillas throw at zoos.

Your poem never washes
its hands after using the can.
Stands around rolling
toilet paper into wet balls
it can toss up to the ceiiling
just to watch them stick.
Yuk yuk.

Your poem is a used rubber
sticky on the floor
the next morning,

the black elephant
skin of the testicles
hairy as kiwi fruit
and silly, the shaving
stubble against the purity
of porcelain,
one black pubic
hair on the sexy
lip of toilet seat,
the swirl of spit
with a cream of celery
center, a cigarette
stub sent hissing
to the piss pot,
half-finished
bottles of beer reeking
their yeast incense,
the miscellany of maleness:
nail clippers and keys,
tobacco and ashes,
pennies quarters nickels dimes and
dollars folded into complicated origami,
stub of ticket and pencil and cigarette, and
the crumb of the pockets
all scattered on the Irish
linen of the bedside table.

Oh my little booger,
it's true.

Because someone once
said 'Don't do that!'
you like to do it.

Baby, I'd like to mention
the Tampax you pulled with your teeth
once in a Playboy poem
and found it, darling, not so bloody.
Not so bloody at all, in fact.
Hardly blood cousin
except for an unfortunate
association of color
that makes you want to swoon.


Yes,
I want to talk at length about Menstruation. Or my period.
Or the rag as you so lovingly put it.
All right then.

I'd like to mention my rag time.

Gelatinous. Steamy
and lovely to the light to look at
like a good glass of burgundy.
Suddenly, I'm artist each month.
The star inside this like a ruby.
Fascinating bits of sticky
I-don't-know-what-stuff.
The afterbirth without the birth.
The gobs of a strawberry jam.
Membrane stretchy like
saliva in your hand.

It's important you feel its slickness,
understand the texture isn't bloody at all.
That you don't gush between the legs.
Rather, it unravels itself like string
from some deep deep center---
like a Russian subatomic submarine,
or better, like a mad Karlov cackling
behind beakers and blooping spirals.
Still with me?

Oh I know, darling,
I'm indulging, but indulge
me if you please.
I find the subject charming.

In fact,
I'd like to dab my fingers in my inkwell
and write a poem across the wall.
"A Poem of Womanhood"
Now wouldn't that be something?

Words written in blood.
But no, not blood at all, I told you.
If blood is thicker than water, then
menstruation is thicker than brotherhood.

And the way it metamorphosizes! Dazzles.
Changing daily like startlight.
From the first transparent drop of light
to the fifth day chocolate paste.

I haven't mentioned smell. Think
Persian rug. But thicker.
Think cello. But richer.
A sweet exotic snuff
from an ancient prehistoric center.
Dark, distinct,
and excellently
female.

7 comments:

  1. That poem travels deep in the mind, like your own thoughts that someone stole away and wrote down while you were sleeping. We all feel the familiarity of it. Our bodies, our human condition.

    I’ve read a lot of writing but I never read an in depth description of a menstrual period. Long overdue, eh, since they been around awhile.

    A little less shame and disgust of our bodies would be a good thing. We laugh because my mom hides the tampons on us. She thinks they are obscene and she buries them so far in the bathroom closet that my daughter and I go crazy digging them out every month :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another book I need to put on my MUST read list.

    The list grows.

    I agree with Rain, less shame more celebration. Less hiding the tampax.

    I may start wearing one behind my ear….a slender one of course…wonder if anyone would notice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Rain:

    When I first read this book, I thought "the blogger girls need to know about it". I loved this poem as well. It is a celebration (agreed with Fineartist) although it is painful, discomfortable, and a hassle to me and I still hate it...


    @Lori:

    Hanging a Tampon on your ears... that sounds like Laila's style of accessory. Since my students saw me wearing a necklace made out of a chain of safety-pins, they say they can expect anything from their teacher!!! Some feminine pads can be stick on the breasts and turned into a cushy tanktop. LOL or kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk. Oh God, I think we should set up a trendy store in Timessquare, who's with me???

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about a collection of humorous short stories, with tampons as the running theme?

    This post (and the comments) reminded me of a recent event...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Angie:

    I'd like to know which even this is...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Sassy!

    That would be an interesting death - I must say!!!

    ReplyDelete

If you want your comment puplished, English writing is required.

Vacation and New Kitty in the Block

Is hope a feeling? Hell, yeah.  Is burden a thing? Double hell, yeah. Since vacation started (there is no accurate date when it ...