Sunday, July 10, 2005

Let us kill it, shall we?


"Saudade" is a Portuguese word. I am Brazilian and live in Brazil, hence I speak that language on the daily basis. So, I say I feel "saudade" for all those that are not around.


I miss = I feel "saudade"

Saudade is a noun. It is an abstract noun. We feel it when we can't be closer to the object, place, or person we miss. We kill it when are nearby that person, place, or object I latter mentioned!

When we don't feel it anymore, we say that we "killed" it!!! Yeah! Brazilians are able to kill what is in fact an abstract, intangible, unconnected to concrete reality, theoretical, not practical thing = SAUDADE.

I miss, therefore I feel it.

I feel it because my folks are not here when I need them the most. I feel it because my friends are not here to share my joy or help me out when I am down in the dumps.

I miss, therefore I know what "SAUDADE" is.

I miss the views of São Paulo, Londrina, and Florida. I miss my former apartment in Saint Petersburg and Mexican food. I miss most of the pals I made in this so incredible city in Pinellas County: Yayoi, Nadia, Melissa and Andrew, Priscila, Margarito, Fernando, Yuichiro, Regina, Naima, Dunja, Masako, Edi, Javier, Guillaume, Cédric, Kalina, Luiza, and Zakaria & Mie.

Saudades are not easy to be controlled. They come and go by their own means. I feel "saudade" for places, food ( as I said), and some special moments. This feeling can get really disturbing because it plants in our hearts the seed which will sprout a plant that'll connect us with the elements we've been missing as long as that "saudade" lasts.

Gee!!! It's not easy to understand if you're not able to sense it.

Curiosity Fact: When are you coming back??? I wanna murder this thing...

9 comments:

  1. How do you pronounce that word?

    If I understand right, it's like that feeling I get in the spring-time when I hear an old favorite song and wish that I had a girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that an American person would represent the pronunciation of this word by sort of writing this: "soudidge".

    In a way, "saudade" can be understood as homesickness, however this English word only covers part of the whole meaning of what "SAUDADE" really is.

    "Saudade" also hurts and when it hurts too bad then you know it's the right time to kill it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. eh I am not brazilian but I do miss and remember all the good times we had in St Pete at the french's house... especially some times that I spent with you but I 've already told you about that. In a way I kind of understand SAUDADE but not completely, I may need to go to Brazil and live there for a while to experiment SAUDADE fully and also other things too...
    did I ever told you I spent the best year in my life in St Pete ?
    well now I did...

    love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How Nice!!!

    However, I don't think it takes to be Brazilian to understand or feel "saudade", Cédric. Through your words I could see that you know what "saudade" is. You just didn't know how to call it.

    I do feel 'saudade' of Saint Pete -as I'd written - Saint Pete College and its woods, fishing in the morning in Golf of Mexico or having a blast in Ibor City and some other good places to party at night.

    I miss Saint Pete City Library which was across the street my house and a lake that there is there right behing its building where, many times, I sat down by, on a bench, reading poetry books or just meditating about my future.

    I also mentioned in my post that one can feel "saudade" for food too. For this matter, I can't help missing a few nice American places I used to go where I could try several ethnic dishes. Even Denny's restaurant - one the most "American" joints - plays an important role to this. I remember going there to have those huge brunch skillets and get stuffed with great American grease... hihihi

    I miss S. Pete downtown and the Pier. I miss Salvador Dali and The Fine Arts Museums. Don't even get me started with the Skyway Bridge. Saudades hurt so bad sometimes.

    Welcome, Cédric, to Brazil and get to know better what 'saudade' means. Love U2 my sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another good text. You really know how to write about the feelings. Saudade is so hard sometimes...I heard, I don't know where, another day, this:
    "As vezes, sentimos tanto a falta de alguém, que gostaríamos de tirar essa pessoa de nossos pensamentos e abraça-la". Wonderful...Saudade always break my heart, and many many things that "live" saudade.
    Continue writing Laila, it's the way to control our feelings!!
    Kisses, Love you, sorry about my bad spelling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. *Bulb - well "saudades" would be a great name for a cocktail!!!

    *Sabrina - Thanks for giving me all the support I need to continue walking on this trail... LOVE U TOO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bulb, thanks for the hint. I hope it is more readable now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. *Carol - I know I can count on you too!!!! Luv Ya

    ReplyDelete

If you want your comment puplished, English writing is required.

Vacation and New Kitty in the Block

Is hope a feeling? Hell, yeah.  Is burden a thing? Double hell, yeah. Since vacation started (there is no accurate date when it ...