Sunday, April 10, 2005

DIMANCHE


Domingo - Sunday in my language: PORTUGUESE!!!
This has been the only day I can really relax and do nothing. Regardless, I hate Sundays though. That's the only day I can go out and have fun sometimes, but like in any other Christian country, every store and even restaurants close on this damn day. How can I like Sunday if that's the day that the entire world wants to stay home, meet their relatives and watch stupid TV???

I don't have anything against my relatives. But, let's face it, RELATIVES can be a real pain in the neck occasionally because you don't get to choose them. They come in a kit, in a surprise box - you are born and all of a sudden you encounter cousins, uncles, aunts, even brothers and sisters!!! Lucky me I am the oldest, so when I was born there were no weirdos in my bedroom, old strange folks telling me what to do and how to act... yew!!! HEHEHEHE!!!

Well, the point is that on Sundays we are to meet them. Most of everybody is expected at their in-laws' places to have lunch, sometimes even to go to church, or to attend those one-year birthday parties - DAMN!!! Why do those wealth rich moms set up those expensive and fancy parties to kids who can barely pronounce their names...??? They are not even sure whether they are humans or just pets. Well, well, well, strange human beings.

Here I am on a Sunday afternoon, sipping wine, listening to downloaded indie rock bands, correcting my students' posts for their blog (readers, check their writings there too:
http://pinkandbluefreedom.blogspot.com/
). I truly enjoyed this week's topic and I think they did too.

SUNDAY!!! DIMANCHE!!! DOMINGO!!! SONNTAG!!! No relatives around to visit. No cool TV shows to watch. Just a plain afternoon with a chilling atmosphere... wow! That's what I like it, although I HATE Sundays!!!


Laila loves Mondays, hates Sundays and thinks Saturdays are TOO DAMN short...

5 comments:

  1. Wednesdays are cool to me too! But I do prefer Mondays!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kev!

    I am not quite sure whether I understood your point. Anyway, I will try to answer all your questions here. Pay attention - I will TRY to!!!

    The things is that I do not live far from my relatives just because of a mere choice. I have a business to run and that was set up in distant city. As you may know, the country where I live in is pretty huge, therefore it is not an easy thing to keep visiting them, especially those "Brazilian Traditional Sunday Visits". That would take my whole salary... I do not want to be asking them for money afterwards to pay my bills.

    I was a journalist and creative writing major, so forgive me...

    What I intended with my last entry was simply to discuss what you had mentioned on your comment - the importance of having family around for Brazilians - even though this may seem a universal matter, which I doubt it, because living in the USA, I noticed that taking care of their elderly wasn't a so appealing activity for American adults.

    I may be Brazilian and I thank you for considering me an artist, but that doesn't make me open to my own culture and my people's traditions. I have the right to dislike and not to accept being surrounded by those who are my relatives. They don't need to be close by just because they share my last name.

    My writing was supposed to be a laugh-about collection of thoughts regarding Sunday's simple duties. Don't take me wrong in case you thought that I do not care for my family. I do too. I love them and their love is likewise towards me. We just don't feel like seeing each other all the time, because our love may diminish, shrink, or lose its magical format. My father, for instance is a writer too and he can't agree to me more.

    I totally agree with you when you say that experiences are necessary when we are writers. That's why I try every now and then to see my folks. I try occasionally to stop by my friends' places and that's why I try to make new friends over the web. I hope I made two - you and Bulb!!!

    Thank you too for reading my stupid words!!!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK!!! Now that you understand me, I may say that I got you too now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laila Chris...thanks for the kind words - as to where the superhero ideas come from? Apparently form this comment page, you are the philosopher - you tell me.

    ReplyDelete

If you want your comment puplished, English writing is required.

Vacation and New Kitty in the Block

Is hope a feeling? Hell, yeah.  Is burden a thing? Double hell, yeah. Since vacation started (there is no accurate date when it ...