Sunday, February 15, 2015

I am a teetotaler!

Love love love to learn new words in English.

"Teetotaler" is the word we use to call people who do not drink alcoholic beverages. I'd think of SOBER which is also okay. However this Tee... thing sounds nicer. I have been a teetotaler since March 3rd 2011.

The reason why I quit drinking is because I've already had enough of alcohol in this life, ... maybe enough for 3 lives in case reincarnation exists. I feel relieved to know that I haven't had hangovers since then and I won't ever feel it again. Yeah. I don't plan on going back to the drinking habit any time soon.

Many people ask me about social gatherings where alcohol plays in an important role. Well, since I decided on quitting drinking, I have had ZERO social life. No more drinking, no more hanging out with friends. True. You quit the habit, not the society.

Alcohol is the social lubricant and there are cultures in which giving up alcohol is totally unthinkable. It is the case of Brazilian customs. We are having carnival, for example, and everybody dresses up, dances, and drinks until they pass out. I am sorry but I can't find the fun out of this practice anymore. I used to, though. I used to drink a lot. I would go to party where the music sucked just for the free drinks. I used to have social life.

I am a teetotaler and I feel sorta proud... and weird. Actually, there's nothing to feel proud. You just quit. Nonetheless, getting the help from meds is a plus. My sobriety did not result from my willpower by itself. That'd be too magical! Magic is welcome but it is hard to happen. I have been stuck with reality and  have been manipulating my neurotransmitters since then with  prescribed medications.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you quitting drinking. I should but I just can't bring myself to do it yet. I don't go crazy but I'm sure I'd drop a few pounds if I did.

    ReplyDelete

If you want your comment puplished, English writing is required.

Vacation and New Kitty in the Block

Is hope a feeling? Hell, yeah.  Is burden a thing? Double hell, yeah. Since vacation started (there is no accurate date when it ...