Monday, August 25, 2014

Source: http://nabbycat.blogspot.com.br/

Parenting

No one would be likely to argue that parenting is stressful and very hard work. Parents teach by example. Teachers see this regularly in the ways children choose to handle interpersonal issues. Children who bully are taught bullying by parents. Children who become victims see their parents being helpless when dealing with challenging situations.

It is unfortunate that today many families leave the teaching of social skills to the public schools. The job of teachers is to teach children how to learn, rather than how to treat others. Personally, I feel a lot of frustration when I hear parents say "Yes, he told the teacher and the teacher didn't do anything." Here is the truth: because the child did not understand that the teacher handled the issue discreetly. Frequently the teacher talks to the "bully" privately, or passes the information to the principal or school counselor. A teacher has no authority to suspend a student on another student's say-so. A teacher has no authority to use corporal punishment (most states have laws against corporal punishment.).

People who parent using corporal punishment or explosive behavior, are only teaching their children that the biggest person gets his way. I wish more parents would just think about the example they set for their children.

Personally, I was raised in a violent, explosive home. When I became a parent, that was my parenting style. One day I learned that I was using a learned behavior, and I could choose to behave differently. I began to practice a gentler approach to discipline. I never achieved perfection, but I keep practicing. Children are small and helpless and look to the adults in their lives for security and self-esteem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want your comment puplished, English writing is required.

Vacation and New Kitty in the Block

Is hope a feeling? Hell, yeah.  Is burden a thing? Double hell, yeah. Since vacation started (there is no accurate date when it ...