Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sisters' Power, Distances, and Wedding Plans

It is hard to live far away from people you love, or people that you lived with during a section of your life, or even those that you have never met but you respect respect so much... nevertheless, they are far from where you decided to live.

I live approximately 1700 kilometers away from my parents. It's at least a two-day driving trip or a 6-hour flight because of connections, let alone delays during summer rains. It is definitely far. I've lived in five different other places and this past year was my fifth time visiting my family after returning to Brazil (hubby and I spent years abroad). So I knew that when I went back home, they would be receiving me with open arms. And they did. I was very much well received.

However, at the end of 2011, I won't be visiting my hometown. Roberto and I are finally getting married... in LAS VEGAS! YAY!

Every year I visit home, I get to have lunch and dinner with my family. We always get together at Christmas as family and when hubby and I have the money to go home during the summertime(which ALWAYS happens - thank God!), we buy Christmas gifts to everyone . Yeah, Christmas celebration takes place in summer in Brazil. My dad and mom get over-excited when they see us. Not because of the presents, I hope. (Kidding!) I love to visit home.

Roberto and I have been living together for almost 13 years. Why would we need to get married OFFICIALLY? There are lots of times when I think, "why am I doing this to myself?" you know, placing yourself so far away from it all... Living on our own in a city where you have no family is a strengthening experience, but often alienating and tremendously lonely. It's sometimes hard not to feel sorry for myself when people mention they are going out with their relatives and stuff. We are going to celebrate the craziest thing we have ever done together which is BEING TOGETHER basically by ourselves! yep.

Actually, I like the distance from my family. I enjoy this special feeling of talking to them on the phone or meeting them after months or sometimes years... and now they know that hubby and I are getting married. This is so incredible.

The distance makes us stronger. There are advantages to this life. We become extremely strong and capable. I know more about my PERSONA than I'd ever dreamed of. I found my apartment by myself. And I can install mirrors, shelves, pictures, put furniture together, and fix stuff.

The other interesting thing about living so far away from home is that our friends become paramount. And, of course, a new city is a new life. Everyone is interesting. Everywhere is interesting. Every new experience is essential. It's easier to reinvent yourself in a city where no one knows your history. But I did not leave home for this. I left home because I needed it. I am from a place where there is a very small chance of growth.

If I wanted to grow up in my hometown, it would be ALMOST impossible, of course, depending on the type of person i'd have turned to. According to my past dream career and the mess I have always been, I would have never coped living in my HOMETOWN. Since the age of 16, I've been far from my family. I've been turning a whole new person. Not everything in my life is perfect, but I'm not stressed out, or depressed, or heartsick. I AM GETTING MARRIED! That is what matters. SHIIIIT... i've got to lose wait FOR REAL now. Damn it.

Roberto and I are going to spend two weeks in California and Nevada goofing off with our students and best friends, and then we'll be back to Brazil and officialize our wedding in Sao Paulo. I'll be sad to leave my cats home, however, I'll probably be content when I step back into my downtown apartment....in the middle of the unknown world however we will be carrying a Graceland Chapel marriage certificate.



Jennifer and Fernanda, my real life sisters. Miss them a great deal
Carol and I, my former sister student! Miss her too.
I love all my strong SISTERS!!!

2 comments:

If you want your comment puplished, English writing is required.

Vacation and New Kitty in the Block

Is hope a feeling? Hell, yeah.  Is burden a thing? Double hell, yeah. Since vacation started (there is no accurate date when it ...