Saturday, October 3, 2009

"I don't like doing anything
without your Mother,"
I tell my daughter
who's feeling guilty
as a Salem witch trial judge
about not wanting to go out for dinner
and drinks with her old
sorority sisters leaving her husband
home alone watching the baby on
a Friday night.
My wife stares almost indignant
at me from across the room,
responding immediately
to be sure there are no misunderstandings,
"But I like going out
with my girlfriends."
I'm glad she's not pleased or flattered
that after all these years
I still like being with her so much.
I'm embarrassed when I realize,
when it is pointed out to me
so clearly that more than anything,
like having to wear a cast
on a skiing trip
I'm more of a burden
to her than anything else.

by Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want your comment puplished, English writing is required.

Vacation and New Kitty in the Block

Is hope a feeling? Hell, yeah.  Is burden a thing? Double hell, yeah. Since vacation started (there is no accurate date when it ...