Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Cruz de Sal

It wasn't too long ago when I had gotten up very early on a fine Saturday and I ran into a huge cross made of salt on my sidewalk. This country which I live in is filled with superstitions and loaded with superstitious people. I got scared at first because my first reaction was: "Oh my! This is some sort of voodoo or something!" But then, I realized that salt is a great element which is usally intended to neutralize energies. I searched on the web and nothing was really informative. The most probable explanation I got was that those crosses of salt are highly recommended to protect a certain area from heavy rains and storms. Pure clear salt in the shape of a cross or individual cubes of salt when shaped and formed together can generate an effective lucky charm for any room in anyone's home. When the cross is made of salt crystal, it is a natural air ionizer that effectively boosts the number of negative ions in the air. The effect of air ionization by salt stems from its physical and chemical properties. So, I figured, "how bad could that be?" And that was not all. The strangest thing was that I got to know there had been several of those crosses spread in the city on the same Saturday and two weeks later, storms got really close to our region but they could not make it to my city. Heavy showers and strong winds have flooded large areas of the south of Brazil, killing over 100 people and many families have lost their homes. It is quite an interesting coincidence which made me think that those superstitious things could mean something. I've come to believe that we got protected from evil. Weird!

3 comments:

  1. Wow.

    Ya know, the older I get, the more fascinated I become with the origins superstitions, rituals, or homespun remedies. I wonder about the science behind it, and whether or not we've made the simplest explanation impossible because of our need to be so complexly evolved, or something.

    Glad you were protected.

    And I've missed hanging out.
    It's hard finding time these days, but I'll try harder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awful, but I'm glad you were spared.

    I think sea salt is very healthy for us to eat, this is the first time I've heard of it used in a superstitious way, it's a fascinating story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weird, freaky, but cool and interesting. I'm glad your city was spared and terrible the others were not.

    ReplyDelete

If you want your comment puplished, English writing is required.

Vacation and New Kitty in the Block

Is hope a feeling? Hell, yeah.  Is burden a thing? Double hell, yeah. Since vacation started (there is no accurate date when it ...