Saturday, April 12, 2008

Bad internet connection and Chinese dinner

This post started a few days ago, written on pieces of paper and pen, just because I haven't had internet access since Monday. In fact, the internet connection comes and goes. When it seems everything is going great... it simply fails. So, here I am writing on ruled notebook sheets. I'll be typing this tomorrow (two days later, actually) if the machines, routers, and cables decide to run well by its own will. We´ve got a few computers, fast broadband wireless connection, and tones of problems with all these things.

Electronic devices run well when they want to. I've been so overstressed about the ones we've had... but I don't care anymore. I won't worry about them. I'm happy for having this opportunity to be writing by hand. It's been a way long time I don't feel this experience. I really enjoy this sort of mental exercise. Writing with pen and paper feels certainly medieval. It is vintage. It is so nostalgic. Handwriting is simply the best thing for any writer. My ideas are gotten across much better this way. It's unexplicable.

Maybe it is a family thing. My father is a writer too. He does set the ball rolling from handwritten notes. He is a grammarian and has published many books on Portuguese and English language most common issues. I myself don't feel very comfortable when it comes to grammar but I don't feel embarassed when I don't get words or sentences right. I try the best I can; I simply keep on writing... I enjoy my blog the way it is: with mistakes and poor writings. I have apparently found the best template, in my opinion. Let's see for how long.

Btw, tonight I've got a dinner party at my Chinese teacher's house. Roberto and I are going to have some Asian food and long cultural talks. I hope we get to speak in English during the whole meal because their Portuguese is quite poor. They are Lucia and Olivio. They have two daughters and a small Chinese school in this town. I confess that I enjoy a lot being around them however I can't really fall in love with Chinese language. I guess it is because it does sound hard to my ears. I wish I could be more fluent by now. Chinese language is f*c&ing tough.

And... since the internet issues haven't gotten over yet, hubby is pushing me to get through with this post to start reinstalling the damn wireless internet devices all over again and again and again...

...5 hours later: the dinner party ended up being a huge success. The conversations were entirely in Portuguese and pretty much comprehensible. I played a lot with Madelaine. The vegetarian dishes were exquisite. I loved so much the cabbage lasagna which my teacher Lucia made that I had to get the recipe and I am definitely making it for the boys in the hood down here.

As I am blogging at this very moment, I am happy to announce that all the computers of this school/home have been hooked to the internet thing for about thirty minutes with no cut-offs. Hence, we are officially back to the virtual world... and with no downs in the connection... This has got to be cool, hasn't it?

3 comments:

  1. I would love to speak another language...

    And I wonder, what language do you think in?

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lori... I could teach you Portuguese. Come over to Brazil to have some classes at my school. You could teach some English in exchange. It would be awesome for my students and you'd have the chance to try an international student/teacher program with no much cost. That sounds like a plan to me.

    ReplyDelete

If you want your comment puplished, English writing is required.

Vacation and New Kitty in the Block

Is hope a feeling? Hell, yeah.  Is burden a thing? Double hell, yeah. Since vacation started (there is no accurate date when it ...