Friday, January 19, 2007

Yellow Mood

I don't know why. There should be a straight reason, which is so far unknown, but I've been getting this yellow mood.

Color derives from the spectrum of light interacting in the eye with the spectral sensitivities of the light receptors. So, if your light receptors are in great condition, we all should perceive colors the same way. Well, well well ...taking into consideration that Roberto, my husband, is colorblind, I realistically conclude that that is impossible.

Another issue I'd like to point out is the meaning that colors are conceived by. Let's take 'blue' as an example. For the American culture (and maybe others), the BLUE color represents sadness, gloomy feelings, therefore an authentic blues song will forever be 'blue.' On the other hand, in my culture, the blue color depicts PEACEFUL energy. There is even a saying in Portuguese language, "Está tudo azul" (Everything's blue), which means everything remains wonderful! Amazed? Me too.

I myself have got this theory which says that colors may affect all of us in different forms.

Following this theory, it would not be right to make use of "Color Therapy" or chromotherapy, as I know it. This alternative treatment is practiced by therapists trained in chromotherapy and they claim that it is okay to use color and light to balance energy wherever our bodies are lacking, be it physical, emotional, spiritual, or mental. Chromotherapists do claim a scientific basis for their practice, proposing that colors bring about emotional reactions in people. Since I believe colors affect people differently, I am writing about a controversial kind of therapy.

Therapists also say that distinct colors are related to each one of our chakras, and they are also related to the primary elements: water, fire, earth, and air. And apparently, we have got 7 main chakras (according to a scholar named Dorothy Parker, chakras "are spiritual centers in our bodies located along the spine.") As she mentions on her work, it is known that our 7 main chakras correspond to each color of the rainbow. Our chakras are gay. Why did it take me that long to realize this?

As I've been in this inexplicable yellow mood, I took the chance to check on Parker's book, Color Decoder 2001, what yellow represents to our bodies and mind. According to her words, it's the color of 'solar plexus' chakra. Aie... what the hell is that? I don't actually wanna know. I just wanna list here the yellow things I like most:

My All Star


Egg Yolk


Boiled buttered corn on the cob


Sunflower


... and Saffron Rice


The Solar Plexus Chakra is located midway between the navel and the base of the sternum. It supports the spleen, pancreas, stomach, and liver. According to these beliefs, having or placing "yellow things" near you help improve digestive and creative energies. It promotes digestion and increases brain activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want your comment puplished, English writing is required.

Vacation and New Kitty in the Block

Is hope a feeling? Hell, yeah.  Is burden a thing? Double hell, yeah. Since vacation started (there is no accurate date when it ...