Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Current Brazilian situation...

São Paulo state, in Brazil, witnessed the worst attacks ever promoted by this sort of gang called PCC last weekend. PCC is an acronym that standards for Primeiro Comando da Capital - First Capital Command. The attacks broke out after 700 "important" inmates members of PCC had been transferred to a distant jail located in my hometown where my parents live, btw. Since PCC's routine got changed, they felt they had to retaliate. Through cellphones, PCC members got highly organized and ordered to start the attacks on Friday last week. The violence was triggered in and out of jails.

All jails in São Paulo and several others throughout the country had riots. Meantime, in the "outside world" -- all over São Paulo state -- masked men attacked bars, banks, subway and police stations with machine guns. A few stores were sacked. Gangs set over 60 mass transit buses on fire only in São Paulo city. And inmates at countless prisons took guards hostage in an unprecedented four-day wave of violence which left more than 80 dead by Monday.

The attacks have been apparently under control since last Monday just because the PCC has accepted to put and end on it. Only today, kids got back to school. And many of my friends didn't need and they whatsoever wouldn't go to work until today. Things here are more strange than ever. The organized gangs showed they have got the skills and the tools to control the situation.

The PCC power lies on its complex web of inmates' connections. Members of this group pay monthly fees to keep heavy weapons, munitions, lawyers, and also to infiltrate cellphones and drugs in jails. The PCC was founded in 1993 in São Paulo's Taubate Penitentiary supported by international terrorist organizations and became involved in drug and arms trafficking, kidnappings, bank robberies and extortion.

To me, this is a clear image of a failed law enforcement. There is no safety in this country. These folks from PCC can do whatever they want to. They can start a war if it is needed one. I could just state: "I'm glad I don't live in São Paulo anymore", but I acutally can't. My entire family still lives there. My best friends work in São Paulo city. I've got relatives in the city too. I don't want any harm happening to any of them. Besides, this criminal group leads outlaws around Brazil. Oh gosh! I wish It didn't end up being this CHAOTIC!

9 comments:

  1. How can I help? You know I will help if I can. Just tell me how.

    Please let us know your family is safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Zilla...

    Yeah!!! My family and my friends' families are all safe...

    We appreciate any help... right now what Brazilians need is to stick together and protest anyhow for better and less corrupted enforcement! It's way complicated.

    Take care, Zilla!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im glad ur safe. I'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you are safe and well. You are in my prayers, and I'm doing what I can to spread the word about this - the US is largely unaware of the events, currently everyone is arguing about immigration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to know that you and your near and dear are safe. Not sure how I can help from here, but will pray for you all...!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the prayers and the support, everyone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laila, I'm so disappointed by how little news coverage (if any?) this got up here.
    But I'm so relieved you're Okay.
    I'm so sorry I haven't been around. This must have been incredibly scary to go through.
    I'll keep reading to see what else I've missed.
    (A hug for you, though & I hope kitty is doing fine, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laila, I am so happy that your family is okay. I agree with writermom, this is not newsworthy in the US. I will pray for you and your country too. I do wish you could move back. I know the problems would continue without you, but I can only think in terms of one person, it's overwhelming to think of everyone else involved. I'm sorry I haven't been online much, but please email me if you ever need me.
    love,
    Cathy/rain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Ange... Thanks Cathy...

    PS- Tibby's very fine and sleeping right now like an angel!!!

    ReplyDelete

If you want your comment puplished, English writing is required.

Vacation and New Kitty in the Block

Is hope a feeling? Hell, yeah.  Is burden a thing? Double hell, yeah. Since vacation started (there is no accurate date when it ...